PERMANENT SUPPORTIVE HOUSING

We provide 68 units of Permanent Supportive Housing at the D’Addario Residence and Bishop Sullivan Residence in Brooklyn. This housing is available to single adults and families who have histories of chronic homelessness, mental illness, and/or chemical dependence. Additionally, a number of units in both buildings are designated to provide affordable rentals to the general population who meet income guidelines. 

Our affordable supportive housing places great importance on teaching tenants the esential life skills necessary for independent living. Some of these skills to be taught are purely practical, such as cooking, grocery shopping, laundry, money management, job seeking, and job maintenance. Additional supportive services also address the key underlying issues related to substance abuse and chronic medical and mental health problems that may have hindered the development of more basic skills. Both through onsite staff and programs, as well as a continuum of linkages in the community, we offer our tenants real-world opportunities to learn about and experience independence, to be responsible for themselves and their families, and to acquire the essential skills they need for self-sufficiency. Both the D’Addario and Sullivan residences offer community spaces and recreation areas, on-site case management, health and mental health services, computers for residents' use, and social and recreational events. Round-the-clock security is also provided.

In addition to our permanent supportive housing in Brooklyn, a Providence House location in New Rochelle provides permanent, affordable apartments for four families, approximately 14 people.

THE D’ADDARIO RESIDENCE

D’Addario Residence provides 46 affordable/supportive apartments, including 35 studio units and 11 one-bedroom apartments. 40% of these apartments are available to neighborhood residents who meet the low-income criteria. The remaining 60% are reserved for women with histories of homelessness and incarceration who are graduating from transitional housing programs.

The D’Addario Residence is named in honor of two long-time supporters and board members of Providence House, Jim and Janet D’Addario.

THE BISHOP SULLIVAN RESIDENCE

Sullivan Residence’s 22 units are reserved for graduates of transitional housing programs, who have a history of homelessness and incarceration, and who struggle with a disability. Many of the residents are referred from other Providence House programs.

The residence is named for Bishop Joseph Sullivan, who was instrumental in helping Providence House begin and remained a close partner and a tireless advocate throughout our history.